*This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn commissions.*
It's no secret I'm a huge Yoga with Adriene fan so as soon as I found out she makes her own mat spray, I had to give it a try.
My mat has to deal with a lot of sweat, dirt and grime daily and sometimes a wipe over with soapy water just isn't enough to keep it fresh.
About once a month I like to give it a more thorough deep clean and these home made astringent solutions are perfect for the job.
Just 4 ingredients and a couple of minutes is all it takes to make your very own scented sanitizer.
Follow these simple instructions and with a bit of experimenting, you can create your own favorite blend.
Supplies Needed2 x Small Spray Bottles
Essential Oils Set
Distilled Water - I used filtered water from my refrigerator
Witch Hazel Astringent - Also known as Hamamelis Virginiana
Step by Step Instructions1. 3/4's fill one bottle with distilled water
2. Top up final 1/4 with witch hazel astringent
3. Add 5-6 drops of either Tea Tree or Eucalyptus Essential Oil (both these oils have cleansing properties)
4. Add 5-6 drops of another essential oil of your choice (any aromatherapy fragrant type oils)
5. Screw on lid and shake bottle to blend
6. Spray into air and sniff to test!
7. Repeat steps 1-6 with a different combination of 1 x cleansing oil + 1 x aromatherapy oil, to fill your second bottle
When you've finished creating a blend you love, spray directly onto yoga mat and with a slightly damp cloth, wipe in the direction of the mat's natural grain. This will clean the surface and infuse it with the scent from the oils.
Now you get to enjoy the sweet smells coming from your mat during your next practice.
Adriene's 2 combinations were tea-tree / lemongrass and eucalyptus / lavender. I love both of these but I'm also keen to try some other variations. Maybe something with orange or peppermint oil. Let me know below if you've tried other combos.
What I like about this recipe, besides how simple and quick it is to make, my mat smells amazing for days after I clean it. Another good reason to get back on my mat each day.
Don't forget that these essential oil spritzes can also be used as room deodorizers.